Discover the secrets to even, smooth skin. Learn how you can improve your lifestyle and skin texture with our tips and tricks. Find out more.
How to get smoother skin
Do you ever wonder how to achieve that soft, smooth skin you've always dreamed of? In the quest for the perfect complexion, there are several factors to consider, both environmental and in our lifestyle, that can affect skin's texture. From city life to stress-related breakouts and sun damage, your skin is constantly exposed to challenges. But fear not; in this article, we will explore the causes of uneven skin texture, the secrets to get smoother skin and offer actionable tips for flawless, glowing skin.
Causes of uneven skin texture
Before we dive in, what exactly is textured skin? Skin texture is the quality or evenness of the skin. Textured skin on the face can feel rough, uneven and dry and is usually due to excess dead skin, congested pores or acne breakouts.
Let’s talk about the causes of uneven skin texture:
- Environmental Factors: Pollution and sun damage can take a major toll on your skin. The UV rays from the sun not only lead to premature skin aging but can also cause redness and uneven skin texture. Anti-G-Ox helps to protect against the key drivers of premature ageing, inflammation, oxidative stress and AGEs (advanced glycation end products).
- Stress: Stress-related breakouts are very common – we’ve all been there. When you're stressed, your body releases a hormone called cortisol, which in excess, can increase oil production and lead to breakouts. Vida Glow’s DeStress helps to promote calm and emotional wellbeing. It’s clinically proven to reduce feelings of mild anxiety by 39% in 6 weeks.
- Eczema: Eczema is a common inflammatory skin condition that presents with red, itchy and irritated patches of skin, that can appear anywhere.
- Hormonal Changes: Hormonal changes can disrupt your skin's natural texture for a variety of reasons. Hormonal fluctuations, like those that occur around the menstrual cycle can lead to breakouts and unwanted changes in skin quality.
How to improve skin texture
To get that coveted soft, smooth skin, consider these practical strategies:
- Diet Matters: A balanced diet rich in whole foods; fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, essential fatty acids, legumes and whole grains provides essential nutrients for healthy skin. Antioxidants combat environmental damage, while omega-3 fatty acids support skin's natural barrier. Trying to eat a wide range of foods, with as many different colours as possible every day will ensure you are getting the variety of micronutrients you need. You may also want to consider a multivitamin to help bridge any nutritional gaps you may be experiencing.
- Beauty Sleep: Adequate sleep is essential for skin regeneration. Aim for 7-8 hours of quality sleep to allow your skin to repair and rejuvenate.
- Regular Exercise: Physical activity increases blood flow, promoting healthier skin. It also helps reduce stress, a major factor in skin texture issues. Recent studies have shown that physical activity (both aerobic exercise and weight training) led to anti-ageing effects in the skin.
- Cleansing and Exfoliating: A proper cleansing routine is key to removing dirt and oil. Exfoliation, (both physical and chemical) helps shed dead skin cells, revealing smoother skin beneath. It’s important not to go too hard here, otherwise you risk damaging your skin barrier, which can make matters worse!
- Professional Treatments: Consider treatments like chemical peels, microdermabrasion, or laser therapy to address specific skin texture concerns.
- Hydration is Vital: Moisturisers help maintain skin's hydration, making it soft and supple. Look for products with hyaluronic acid for optimal results. From an ingestible perspective, you can’t go past marine collagen peptides for a clinically proven way to enhance skin hydration from within.
- Sun Care: Sunscreen is non-negotiable. Protect your skin from UV damage by using a broad-spectrum SPF daily – we recommend SPF 50+, particularly on the face.
Vitamins and Supplements: Certain vitamins and supplements can support soft skin and improve skin texture. Antioxidants vitamin C and vitamin E are great for general skin health. Essential fatty acids like omega 3’s, found in Vida Glow’s Clear help to ensure the integrity of the skin barrier and manage skin inflammation. Clinical studies show that hydrolysed marine collagen peptides can also be useful for smooth skin, probably due to their ability to boost skin hydration.
In your journey towards smooth, soft skin, remember these key points:
- Address environmental and behavioural factors that affect your skin.
- A balanced diet, adequate sleep, and regular exercise contribute to skin health.
- Cleansing, exfoliating, and professional treatments are essential for smoother skin.
- Hydration and sun protection are non-negotiable.
- Consider adding skin-friendly vitamins and supplements to your routine.
With these tips, you can achieve the soft and smooth skin you've always wanted. Remember, consistency is key. Incorporate these practices into your daily beauty routine, and you'll be well on your way to radiant, flawless skin.